Yesterday I was introduced to Manfred Max Neef. He's a Chilean economist and environmentalist who among other things, classified 9 constant, fundamental human needs. His theory says that while we globally share these needs, communities fulfill them in differing ways. The needs are, in no hierarchy or order:
- Subsistence
- Protection
- Affection
- Understanding
- Participation
- Leisure
- Creation
- Identity
- Freedom
Also developed was a way to determine the "wealth" and "poverties" of these needs in communities and how they are being fulfilled. When you look at your life, and the life of our surrounding communities, where are you wealthy? Where are you impoverished? I'm intrigued by the benefits of using this as an entry point to conversations on issues of the environment and living sustainably. It's also a wonderful reminder that wealth is so much more than money. We may be rich by our paycheck, but how impoverished are we with the fundamental need of creation (imagination, inventing, spaces for expression)? Or, we may have the protection of good health, but impoverished in our affection and relationships.
As shared by presenter, Krista Leraas, co-founder of Harvest Moon Backyard Farmers, Manfred Max Neef's theories help us find ways to let go of unsatisfying consumption. And I hope I don't need to argue that we have a lot of unsatisfying consuming going on! I know I do. And it collectively is harming the whole of God's creation, ourselves included. So, as Krista suggested, pull out that picnic blanket and take some time to do nothing under the sun - the finally arrived spring sun (or showers)! Give yourself permission to slow down, to take care of yourself and your neighbor. It's bigger than this, but just think of all of the energy we would save just from slowing down!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yes, yes, yes!
ReplyDelete