
Identity. It’s something I think about a lot. Who am I? Who do I want to be? How much will do I – does any human - have in its answer? This Reebie Rumination (although I know I’m not alone on this one!) was particularly prominent during my recent trip to visit my sister. Perhaps it was heavy on my heart because I was celebrating my 34th birthday – anniversaries being the perfect occasion to reminisce about the past and look forward to the future. This picture was taken at Discovery Park in Seattle, more or less posed at my request after pondering this question. There is much I don’t know, but I do know this. I am a daughter, a sister, and an aunt. For as much as identity is about the self, it is about relationship. Interwoven in my mother's womb, I am the result of nature's genes and at best nurture's love. These relationships are where my life began, and where, God willing, my life will end. And always, the true beginning and end? Child of God. What other identity do I need?

Well said.
ReplyDelete