
I spent the weekend with close friends - so close they are family. It's become a tradition. Fifteen of us (10 adults and 5 kids) meet up in some random Wisconsin location and do nothing but enjoy each others company, play games, eat, and laugh - and then eat and laugh some more. Jack, not yet four years old, told his Mom "it's going to be a big mess!" Jack, you couldn't be more wise in both your comment and your excitement. It is a mess when we get together. There are items left at home, GPSs that can't locate our destination, children who don't sleep, tantrums, poopy diapers and more frustratingly poopy underwear of the somewhat recently potty trained. There are family tensions, parental exhaustion, spousal annoyance and both single-hood and marital envy. We load up our cars and drive hours for these weekends, arriving to unload not only our suitcases, but our internally and externally messy emotions and lives. I've decided that is what I'm most thankful for this Thanksgiving. Life's mess. Because in that mess is nothing short of beauty. Beautiful relationships. Beautiful love. Jack, thanks for the wise insight, the "messy" weekend, and the reminder there's no escaping our "biggy" (sorry, had to be there...) messy lives. And, really, why would we want to try?

It seems you had a great time
ReplyDeleteYou have such a way with words, Reebie. Good reminders here that in the midst of the "messes" there is a lot of beauty! Talked with Jack on the way home about how I always feel sad to leave you guys, too, but how lucky we are to have you. I come home tired, but filled (and not just with food and drink...although that too!) Love you!
ReplyDelete