Do you know what I was thinking about as I dug myself out of the blizzard today? My next status update on facebook. You too? Interesting. I'm not proud of it, but good or bad, this crazy "book" has invaded many of our lives, becoming another way to connect and share our life story. The desire happens quite frequently, actually. I experience something - a blow to my pride, a bad date, an exciting new purchase, a frustration with humanity, or the viewing of an hilarious utube video - and the urge is to go straight to facebook and share it. Where else can you instantly connect with hundreds of friends? The need for instant gratification scares me. I think it breeds something that isn't so good for us humans...you know, those not so healthy things like entitlement, greed, and impatience. At the same time, having an outlet to share pictures, articles and updates - what a gift! Especially on a day like today, when a blizzard hits and your solo living feels just a bit too lonely and isolating. There's plenty to contemplate about facebook and what it says about our social society. It certainly comes with the good and the bad. However, today I celebrate the good. Because, seriously, who doesn't like to post a picture and have friends comment that you're super cute?!
Friday, June 26, 2026
the book
Do you know what I was thinking about as I dug myself out of the blizzard today? My next status update on facebook. You too? Interesting. I'm not proud of it, but good or bad, this crazy "book" has invaded many of our lives, becoming another way to connect and share our life story. The desire happens quite frequently, actually. I experience something - a blow to my pride, a bad date, an exciting new purchase, a frustration with humanity, or the viewing of an hilarious utube video - and the urge is to go straight to facebook and share it. Where else can you instantly connect with hundreds of friends? The need for instant gratification scares me. I think it breeds something that isn't so good for us humans...you know, those not so healthy things like entitlement, greed, and impatience. At the same time, having an outlet to share pictures, articles and updates - what a gift! Especially on a day like today, when a blizzard hits and your solo living feels just a bit too lonely and isolating. There's plenty to contemplate about facebook and what it says about our social society. It certainly comes with the good and the bad. However, today I celebrate the good. Because, seriously, who doesn't like to post a picture and have friends comment that you're super cute?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good one! May I translate it and put it on my not-so-often-updated-blog-in-Norwegian? My latest addition to the Book-crazyness is Gowalla... Do people really wanna know where I am? "Oh Eigil is at work". or "Oh, he's home again"... Hmmm...
ReplyDelete