
American Beauty - Plastic Bag Scene
Last evening I re-watched America Beauty. I love that movie. My favorite scene, link above, is when the character, Ricky, shows Jane what he considers to be the most beautiful imagery he has caught on film - a plastic bag dancing in the wind. It's odd that I'm so drawn to this scene, considering I have a magnet on my fridge that reads "Plastic Bags Blow!". I do have a problem with plastic bags, but all the more perfect, perhaps. Some of the most ugly things can paradoxically be the most beautiful. And how much beauty I do miss in a day.
"What the American poet William Carlos Williams said of poetry could be applied to the living of our life: 'If it ain't a pleasure, it ain't a poem.'...We try to find a way, then to hold our fingertips gently to the pulse of God. We watch as our hearts begin to beat as one with the One who delights in our being. Then what do we do? We exhale that same spirit of delight into the world and hope for poetry." Gregory Boyle, Tattos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion

No comments:
Post a Comment