Friday, June 26, 2026

Newton's cradle


Ever been entertained by a Newton's cradle? You know that device that has 5 hanging balls you can clack back and forth in different variations? I had one that I played with as a child. I can still picture that pendulum sitting up top our dining room corner cabinet collecting dust. Every once in awhile I rediscovered it and was always mesmerized. Pull one ball up a certain height, drop it, and it clacks its neighbor causing the ball on the opposite side to go up the same height. Pull up two balls, then three and four, all with the same result. The amount of energy you give it transfers to the other side. I have little interest in physics but I can’t stop thinking about pendulums and this law of conservation of energy. Energy remains constant over time? It can neither be created nor destroyed? I find that scary. What we have on earth, is what we have, including the “energy” of political extremism, hatred, bullying, and sin? Can’t that be destroyed? Luckily, Newton’s law doesn’t end with that, and neither does God’s. Energy may not be able to be destroyed or created, but it can be transformed. One state to another. Maybe, just maybe, when we clack that ball with an energy of love, it can travel and transform straight through to the other side. Now THERE is hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment