
Tonight I finished and filed my taxes. I'm so proud. This year there were no tears and no calls to the older brother! I did it ALL-BY-MYSELF…myself and turbo tax, that is, and a wee bit of help from a co-worker and Thrivent Financial. I think this is cause for celebration, and a good excuse to ruminate about the top 10 things I've learned in my relatively short experience with life.
1.We can't be experts at everything, including taxes. Maturity is when you can admit that, ask for help, and not cry about it! Is “all by myself” really that impressive?
2. The saying “it is what it is” is my friend. Sometimes the most liberating thing is to let go of that self-defined, utopian “it”, and accept “it” for what “it” is, dysfunction and messiness included. Amazing how embracing makes “it” so much more beautiful.
3. The degree to which I judge myself is generally the degree to which I judge others. The same is true for forgiveness. Lesson? Judge less, forgive more.
4. Every personal attribute experienced as gift, is also experienced as curse. And vice versa.
5. Change is inevitable. When do you accept it and when do you fight it? I’m not sure I know the answer, but there is need for both. Perhaps it is time for me to accept that we live in a society dependent on cell phones?
6. While it may feel this way at times, it is NOT a failure to never marry. (Light bulb!) It is a failure, however, to never love.
7. “Should” is a word that rarely needs to be thought or verbalized. Rather, substitute, “perhaps you might enjoy?” I can’t take credit for this, but cheers to the author of the suggestion!
8. Just because we may never end injustice doesn’t mean we must not try. At the end of the day the importance is faithfulness, not effectiveness. Right?
9. It was once suggested to me to start each day with “Thy will be done” and end each day with “Thank you.” Personally, I can’t think of a more meaningful way to live. Acceptance and gratitude.
10. And last but not least...perhaps we all might enjoy adding more “good enough” to our days?!
Good enough, good night, and thank you!

Impressive! You need to write a book.
ReplyDeleteVery refreshing, thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete