
I attempted an experiment last week. On the highway from Chicago's O'Hare Airport to Rockford, Illinois I decided to stick to 60 miles per hour. The alternative? Going the speed of everyone else. And let me tell you, that wasn't slower. Why I did this in a city where high-speed chase is more the norm than the exception, in a bright yellow beetle rental car that flashed "look at me!", I do not know. It seemed a good idea in the moment. I had the luxury of time and anonymity - all by myself in someone else's car and someone else's state. So I tried. I really did. And let me tell you, it was my foot fighting with my instinct.
Instinct is to be like a bird amidst its flock, right in sync with your companion cars, not wanting to be left behind. I kept my eye on the road and before you know it I'm right there with my neighbor - 70, 75, maybe even 80 mph? I look down at the speedometer and my lead foot fights the communal speed, as does my conscience. The quiet zen voice in me counseling, "Relax, Rebecca. Choose the slower, more sane pace. So what if the driver behind you is using unpleasant hand gestures. This is about optimum fuel efficiency and caring for the environment. This isn't a race. Fight the urge to be like everyone else. Be the you you want to be, at the speed where you and your car do best."
Zen is so nice, isn't it? If only my zen won out on those days when I get flicked off.
I didn't actually get the finger. I'm trying to be funny here. Most likely unsuccessfully. But humor aside, this is nothing short of truth. Culture sets an unsustainable speed and we humans do everything we can to keep the pace, or more often, exceed it. Healthy or not.
Some days I think it'd be cool to be a bird; or even more cool if humans would pick up on their instinct. Nature's instinct, where beauty is found in communal flocks flying at sustainable, optimal, natural speeds; in it together instead of in it to win it.
Next time I rent a car I might just ask for another bright yellow beetle. This time I'd put a sign in the back that says "Slow Down - On and Off the Road"

Proud to say that although I am a young driver still, I am not a speed demon. I am a safe, sane driver. It's fun :)
ReplyDeleteSee what I mean? You take normal, life situations and make meaning from them. I love this! And, I've got a terrible lead foot and lead a life that is way too fast paced. There's a metaphor in there somewhere, right?
ReplyDeleteMostly I'd like to fly like the birds out of the car! Yes, definitely trying to make a metaphor.
ReplyDelete