Sunday, June 17, 2012

To Be (a warning of some profanity)

I was recently reminded by someone that God does not call us to do, but to be. Or as another pointed out, we're not human doings, rather human beings. There's something there - and it's helpful when certain voices of incompetence and failure come lurking. Anne Lamott identifies it best, "...that the station is on. KFKD [K-Fucked] is on every single morning when I sit down at my desk. So I sit for a moment and then say a small prayer." Thank you, Anne. You make me feel less alone.

Oh, the station. It's on more than I care to admit. And when it is, I do find it helpful to remember that my worth isn't based on a list of accomplishments. I am Lutheran, for Pete's sake. Haven't I figured it out yet? It's no small feat to turn society's definition of worth and success on its head. And the alternative? To be? Or not to be? Shakespeare, I guess that still is the question. Or is it?

Honestly, I don't know what it means "to be". But I like the sentiment. And I keep praying that I figure it out. 'Cause frankly, doing is completely overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment